10 Guilty Pleasures of a Social Media Specialist
Many people, especially of the older generation, are not completely sure of what a Social Media Specialist does. Well this blogpost is not going to define my job description. If you would like to know more about what people of my profession do, please see my blogpost “What is Social Media Management?” For this blog, I’m going to share the guilty pleasures of my job… And yes, they will reveal my nerdiness.
1. Research – I love burying myself in online research. It could be any topic and researching it gives me knowledge, and as we know, knowledge is power!
2. Sharing Posts on Facebook – I get to find cool things to share with others and be creative about it.
3. Hashtags and Retweets on Twitter – There’s so much information on Twitter and so many people sharing it by retweeting or giving shout-outs with hashtags. It makes for a fun experience and is an extremely great and effective way to socialize.
4. Trending Topics – For those of you who are active and well-versed with Twitter, you know what I’m talking about. They are usually ridiculous but so much fun to participate in.
5. “Elevator Pitch” Job Description – When people ask me what I do for a living, I get to tell them I play on Facebook and Twitter all day. While there is much more to a Social Media Specialist’s job than that, it seems to be the best way (not to mention the most fun) to describe to people who don’t understand.
6. Interacting – I get to find others on social media sites and be social with them (i.e. leaving comments, finding and sharing photos, starting conversations with random people).
7. Always Changing – Nothing is ever the “same old boring thing.” There’s always different information, different things to share and different ideas.
8. Being Social – I have the power of influencing people by being a page administrator and inspiring them with thoughts, ideas and even laughs.
9. Being the Go-To Person – Social Media is my element, people come to me when they they have a problem or question with it because I generally know more about it. I like helping people and being knowledgeable.
10. YouTube – Enough said… Who doesn’t like being able to surf videos? I use them for content from time to time.
And there you have it. My deepest, darkest secrets revealed… Okay not really, but close.
Tagged with: leaving comments, research, sharing posts, social media management, social media specialist, trending topics