Creating a Logo that Sticks
In order to create a unique and successful logo design there are several important steps that need to be taken from start to finish to ensure the logo designs end up relevant and strong.
Step 1: Client Creative Brief
– One of the most important steps in logo design is understanding the clients goals and objectives.
– Ask the clients several questions in order to get all of the info and details you need. (Ex: What does the company do and how do they want to be perceived?)
Step 2: Researching the Industry
– If you are unfamiliar with the industry, research it to get the best understanding of what it’s all about.
– Research all of the competitors logos and use them to your advantage in order for you to create something unique, a logo that stands out against the rest.
Step 3: Brainstorming/Sketching
– This is the most important in order to create a solid, unique and memorable logo design. Too many people skip this step in order to try and save time, but if you try and rush a project it may never reach its full potential.
– Start sketching on paper with your favorite pencil and eraser. This allows your brain to get warmed up and rolling onto some good concepts. It takes time coming up with good ideas. Keep in mind your creative brief and research while sketching ideas.
– Usually the first sketches will be the most obvious and generic ideas that you need to get out of your system before you start getting to the good ideas. Sketching is like an unused sink: the first water tends to be dirty, it’s been sitting in the pipes, let water run for a bit and the water becomes something you would actually want to ingest. It is best to sketch at LEAST 20 different concepts.
– Unlike jumping straight to the computer, sketching allows you to develop several different ideas and concepts as a whole, instead of focusing on small details or perfection.
Step 4: Digitizing the Sketches
– After feeling confident in your sketches, choose a few of the strongest ones and take them to the computer by scanning them in.
– At this point it is not necessary to introduce color into your designs. Focus on perfecting the logo in black and white. A proper logo should be able work in black and white just as well as it works in color.
– Once you are happy with the logo options you have designed, it’s time to show them to the client! If this process is used from beginning to end without skipping a step, there should always be an end result of some strong logos that the client will love.
Taking breaks throughout the whole process is important. It is helpful to be able to step away from your work for a while and let your ideas mature and soak in.
If you or your company is looking for a great logo design, our graphic designers will create a logo that will exemplify your brand. Contact us today, at 888.420.5115 to find out what we can do for you.Tags: art, brainstorming, color, creative brief, digital, graphic design, logo, logo design process, logo strategy, professional logo design, research, sketches