How to Get Google to Crawl Your Site
Search engines like Google rely on “spiders” or “crawlers” to discover and index new websites. This is how they are able to deliver relevant results when someone searches for a particular topic or keyword.
However, getting your website crawled by Google can sometimes be a challenge, especially if it’s a new site or it has not been properly optimized. In this article, we’ll discuss the steps you can take to ensure that Google can index your site properly.
How Google Indexes My Site
Let’s start with the basics. Google crawls your website through the following factors, among many others:
- Internal links: Search engines like Google indexes a website by following links from one page to another. This means that if your website has a clear and logical internal linking structure, it will be easier for Google to crawl and index all of your pages.
- Sitemaps: Aside from following links, Google also relies on sitemaps to understand the structure of your website. A sitemap is essentially a map or list of all the pages on your site that you want Google to crawl and index. You can create a sitemap using various tools or plugins, and then submit it to Google through your Search Console account.
- Content: Another important factor in getting your site indexed is having high-quality content. Google’s algorithms are designed to reward websites with valuable and informative content, so make sure that your site has well-written, relevant, and original content.
3 Steps on How to Get Google to Crawl My Brand Site
If you’re a beginner, here’s how to have your website indexed by Google:
1. Make sure your site is live
Before anything else, make sure that your website is actually live and accessible through a URL. This may seem obvious, but sometimes websites can be temporarily down or blocked from search engines.
2. Set up a sitemap
As mentioned earlier, having a sitemap is crucial for getting your site indexed by Google. You can create a sitemap using online tools or plugins, and then submit it to Google through your Search Console account.
3. Submit your site for indexing
Once your sitemap is set up, you can request Google to crawl and index your website by submitting the URL through the “URL Inspection” tool on Google Search Console. This will prompt Google’s crawler to visit your site and start indexing.
Quick Tips on How to Optimize Your Site for Google Indexing
When all of the mentioned steps are in order, here are some specific steps you can take to make sure that Google crawls and indexes your brand site:
- Regularly publish high-quality content: As mentioned earlier, having valuable and relevant content is crucial for getting your site indexed by Google. Make sure to regularly publish well-written and original content that will be useful for your target audience.
- Use keywords effectively: Incorporating relevant keywords throughout your website can also help Google’s crawler understand what your site is about. However, make sure to use keywords naturally and avoid keyword stuffing, as this can actually harm your site’s ranking.
- Ensure that your website is technically set up for Google’s crawler: This includes having a clear and organized site structure, using proper HTML coding, and optimizing your website for mobile devices. These technical aspects are just as important as the content itself, so make sure to pay attention to them.
How to Run a Google Crawler Test
A Google Crawler Test can help you identify any potential issues that may be preventing your site from being indexed. Here’s how to conduct one:
- Go to Google Search Console and select the property (website) you want to test.
- Click on “URL Inspection” in the left sidebar.
- Enter the URL of a specific page on your site that you want to test and click “Enter.”
- If the page is not currently indexed, click on “Request Indexing” to prompt Google’s crawler to visit and index the page.
- Once the test is complete, you will receive a report with any errors or issues that were found.
Fixing these issues can help improve your site’s indexing and ranking in Google search results.
Ensure a Well-Set Up Website for Better SEO
Having your website indexed and crawled by Google is just the first step towards better SEO. It’s important to ensure that your overall SEO strategy is well-executed to drive more traffic and increase your website’s visibility.
If you need any help with your SEO strategy, implementation, and maintenance, our experts at Ilfusion are here to assist you.google crawl, google index, google search console, search engine optimization
Categorized in: Articles