Video Rodeo: Thanksgiving Edition
Welcome back to Video Rodeo! This blog entry presents the Thanksgiving Edition, where we will look at how some companies have used this holiday and its traditions to market their product or service in a humorous way.
First up is a comically dramatic commercial produced by State Farm Insurance and William Shatner, to convey the dangers of deep-frying a turkey (let’s call it the “Turkey Video”)….
How is this commercial great? Let us count the ways:
1. Contains iconic actor, William Shatner (having a famous person in your commercial always helps).
2. Uses appropriate humor in a productive way (comedy makes things memorable).
3. Promotes actual useful service that people can relate to as well as benefit from (It’s all about the consumer and building a relationship).
Next we have a Thanksgiving music video commercial for muscle milk that you’ll just have to watch because there are no words…(let’s call this one the “Pilgrim Video”)…
Once again, comedy is used to make a connection with consumers and the times (by making a present-time video about a historic event). The comedy in this video is more of a silly humor as opposed to a dramatic comedy, but both videos are funny enough to provoke a few chuckles without over-doing it.
While everyone likes a good laugh, one does need to take caution when using comedy in marketing because everyone has a different sense of humor and can take offense easily. But when used correctly, comedy is one of the best tools in marketing. It is easier for people to remember and relate to something that makes them laugh and it’s also one of the main reasons why videos go viral.
To conclude this edition of Video Rodeo, let’s do a quick recap:
– If you’re like William Shatner and are unaware of how to deep fry a turkey or are too anxious to do it properly, you should probably have insurance.
– To get abs, do crunches – to solve crimes, use hunches.
– Use APPROPRIATE humor in marketing to help build relationships with your consumers.
Have a Happy Thanksgiving!Tags: marketing a product, thanksgiving, tv commercial, video rodeo, youtube video
Categorized in: Video Rodeo